Sunday, September 12, 2010

Poster For Tomorrow


I did this poster for the Death is Not Justice campaign/competition put on by Poster for Tomorrow. I don't really remember how I came across this project, but I strongly agree with the cause and like idea of the project itself, so decided to attempt a small contribution to it. For this competition, 100 entries are to be selected from the 2,094 submissions which will then be exhibited in shows around the world on 10/10/10 (world day against the death penalty). Most importantly, and what I like most about the project, all participating artists automatically agree to publish their submissions under a creative commons license, thereby making the 100 new designs available for free use by groups/organizations/people engaging in anti-death penalty actions and such. It's a simple idea to build a library of visual communication for political actions. A lot of my work has social commentary and I've been looking to do art with a more broad/visible political context; this is at least a small and simple contribution to that. Yay for left-wing propaganda! Once again I have to thank a musician for the "borrowed" words (bottom of the poster), this time it's hyper-political, brutal, crust-punk band, Behind Enemy Lines. If you're into heavy, down-tuned political rants, check them out!

4 comments:

  1. Nice work, like the new blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey matt. strong poster design. congrats on the new blog. added to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I've been wanting to do some more design-based work just to experiment with text and composition more regularly. Also, it's faster and I don't have to draw a background...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt,

    I would like to use your poster for a coming Facebook page against the death penalty.

    Would you allow me to use it?

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete